Hair loss can occur temporarily or permanently and can affect either the scalp or the entire body. While it is more common in men, anyone can be affected, particularly in cases of hereditary factors or hormonal changes. If you are experiencing hair loss, it is advisable to consult with your doctor about the available treatment options before taking any further steps.
Whether you are currently going through hair loss or simply want to be prepared for the possibility in the future, it is beneficial to be familiar with the symptoms associated with hair loss:
- Gradual Thinning: This is the most common symptom and typically affects individuals as they age. Men often experience a receding hairline on the forehead, while women may notice broadening in the parting. In older women, frontal fibrosing alopecia, which involves a receding hairline, is a common cause. Gradual thinning should be considered a warning sign for potential future conditions, such as baldness, which is the permanent loss of hair on the head.
- Patchy Bald Spots: Some individuals may experience patchy or circular bald spots on the scalp, eyebrows, or beard as an initial symptom. These spots may be accompanied by itching or pain in the affected area, followed by eventual hair loss.
- Unexpected Hair Loss: Sudden hair loss is not typically associated with aging or other previously mentioned causes. Trauma is usually the underlying cause of this symptom. People may notice hair falling out in handfuls while washing, brushing, or even during sleep. While this symptom is usually temporary, it can lead to an overall thinning of the hair strands.
- Full Body Hair Loss: Individuals undergoing treatments such as chemotherapy for cancer may experience hair loss throughout their entire body. However, this type of hair loss is usually temporary and regrowth occurs once the treatment is completed.
- Patches of Scaling on the Scalp: This symptom is indicative of ringworm and may be accompanied by swelling, redness, and broken hair.
When faced with hair loss symptoms, it is essential to determine the underlying cause before considering potential solutions. Losing hair is more common than one might think, and various factors can contribute to it. While it can be an emotional experience, researching and understanding the specific cause of your hair loss is crucial.
If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, there are temporary and permanent solutions available. These range from wigs and hats to more long-lasting options like transplants or scalp micropigmentation, which, in most cases, are considered to be effective and affordable hair loss solutions. It is important to thoroughly research and explore all your available options.
If you think scalp micropigmentation could be a hair solution for you, book a free online consultation today! We’ll answer all your questions to help you make the most informed decision suitable for you!
You have nothing to lose but confidence to gain. Get in contact