One of the major benefits of Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP) is its simple aftercare, which requires little to no downtime. The results from each treatment session will settle over a 7-day healing period, after which you will generally be ready for the next session. We will adjust your aftercare and healing time based on the results from each session.
- Refrain from sun exposure in the days leading up to the treatment, especially if you are prone to burning. Sunburned scalp may be sensitive and may not accept pigment properly.
- Clear up any dry scalp or skin conditions like dandruff, eczema, or psoriasis before the treatment. Skin that is sunburned, dry, or flaking may not heal or accept pigment properly.
- Moisturise your scalp with a water-based moisturizer before and after the treatment. Use sugar scrubs or lightly exfoliate the scalp to remove dead skin five days before treatment.
- Avoid using Minoxidil or other topical treatments for at least 72 hours before treatment.
- If you wear wig units, remove them seven days prior to treatment to allow your scalp to breathe and clear up any irritations from glue.
- Make sure to eat before your appointments to avoid feeling nauseous during the tattooing process.
- Wear dark-colored shirts to prevent any ink splattering.
- Aftercare is simple: Take sensible precautions in the sun, keep your scalp clean and dry, and moisturize as needed. Following these steps will ensure the best possible treatment results that will last for years to come.
- SMP pigment is only deposited into the papillary layer of the skin, so it’s crucial to follow aftercare instructions to ensure even healing and the longevity of your treatment.
- For the first 4 days after the session, avoid excessive sweating, direct sunlight exposure, and fully submerging your scalp in water. Do not scratch or pick at any pigment shedding that may occur.
- On day 5 post-treatment, gently wash your head with warm water, avoiding scrubbing. Moisturize with a water-based lotion or light natural oil like jojoba.
- Refrain from applying chemical-based colors, makeup, antibiotic creams, ointments, Monoxidil, or RetinA to the treated area until fully healed (at least 10+ days after the final session).
- Protect your scalp from strong sunlight and avoid sunburn to prevent peeling and fading of the treatment.
- Wet shaving with a razor blade is recommended for the first 10 days after each session.
- Avoid rubbing, picking, or scratching the treated area or any scabbing that may appear.
- Moisturise your scalp with a water-based moisturiser or light oil once the treatment has settled to keep it in good condition and extend the longevity of your SMP.
- Scalp Micropigmentation may not be suitable for individuals prone to keloid scarring or those with active and changing forms of Alopecia.
- Clients undergoing chemotherapy or who have undergone chemotherapy within the last 12 months cannot be treated due to the potential effects of radiation on pigment settling.
- If you have type 2 diabetes, you will need a doctor’s clearance to proceed due to the higher risk of infection and use of certain medications.
- If possible, avoid blood-thinning medication before your treatment and antibiotics for seven days prior to starting treatment.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding individuals cannot undergo SMP. All clients must be 18 years or older.
- If you have any concerns about your general health or abnormal scalp conditions, it is recommended to get a doctor’s clearance before treatment. Get in contact.